List:       opensuse-packaging
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packaging advice
From:       David Bolt <bcrafhfr-cnpxntvat () davjam ! org>
Date:       2005-10-23 23:47:14

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, James Ogley <james@usr-local-bin.org> wrote:-

>> What I'd like is for someone who's rather more experienced at packaging,
>> which wouldn't take much really, to have a look at the spec files and
>> see if there's anything that could be done to improve things[0].
>
>Looks good to me (looking at alienpool.spec at the moment), in fact it
>looks better than most of my .specs :)

Well, I will admit that it's not all my work. I actually based the spec
files on the pre-existing Mandrake spec files, although I did have to
re-write quite a few bits. The alienpool.spec was the most "fun" to
adapt as I first needed to figure out all the %_games*dir macros, then I
ended up completely re-writing the %install section as it didn't work,
and then I finished by correcting the %files section. That was after
having to start afresh with all the autoconf tools so that I could make
a new "configure" that worked.

Aircrack.spec was also based on a Mandrake spec file, which I updated to
a newer source. I made a mistake in the %changelog section for that as,
when I updated the source, I used ctrl-k and ctrl-u[0] and then edited
that line, instead of ctrl-k, ctrl-u and ctrl-u, and editing the first
line and adding a line underneath. I've corrected that mistake and the
proper changelog should now be there.

>(That said mine tend to be based on the internal SUSE conventions
>for .spec files and I'm too lazy to change ;))

[0] nano[1] delete and "undo" delete.

[1] not to start another editor flame-fest...

Regards,
   David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
AMD1800 1Gb WinXP/SuSE 9.3  | AMD1300 512Mb SuSE 9.0  | AMD2400 256Mb SuSE 9.0