List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       Joe Salmeri <jmscdba () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-05-02 19:25:42

> * Joe Salmeri <jmscdba@gmail.com> [05-02-24 14:28]:

>>> You explicitly told zypper that you want locale support. Now you
>>> complain that zypper installs locale support and want flag to tell
>>> zypper to ignore what you configured.
>>>
>>> If you do not want locale support, do not configure zypper to install
>>> locale related packages.
>>
>> I have not modified the default zypper config and yet I also run into the
>> issue of the language packages being installed.
>>
>> zypper lloc
>>
>> Code  | Language                | Requested
>> ------+-------------------------+----------
>> en    | English                 | Fallback
>> en_US | English (United States) | Requested
>>

>> grep -i locale /etc/zypp/zypp*.conf
>>
>> /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:## A list of locales for which translated package
>> descriptions should
>> /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:## Valid values:  List of locales like 'en', 'en_US'...
>> /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:## If data for a specific locale are not available, we
>> try to find some
>> /etc/zypp/zypp.conf:# repo.refresh.locales = en, de
>>

>> All configuration lines are just comments.
>>
>> The zypper addlock '*-lang" didn't work for me because then when
>> iso-codes-lang needs updating it fails because it is locked.
>>
>> I end up manually removing all *-lang packages except for iso-codes-lang and
>> then added locks for all the language packages that I removed.
>
> removing iso-codes-lang causes no problem but wants to take many apps with
> it.
>
>    rpm -e --nodeps iso-codes-lang
>
> will remove it w/o affecting other apps.

Thanks I saw that in an earlier comment, but it seems that
plasma6-workspace requires it.

zypper search -s -i -x -v --requires-pkg iso-codes-lang

Reading installed packages...

S  | Name              | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository
---+-------------------+---------+-------------+--------+-----------------------------------
i  | libKF5I18n5       | package | 5.115.0-1.3 | x86_64 |
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss (20240430)
     requires: iso-codes-lang
i  | libKF6I18n6       | package | 6.1.0-1.1   | x86_64 |
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss (20240430)
     requires: iso-codes-lang
i+ | plasma6-workspace | package | 6.0.4-1.1   | x86_64 |
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss (20240430)
     requires: iso-codes-lang

Also trying to remove libKF5I18n5 wants to remove kde and kde_plasma
patterns.

There is a libKF6I18n6 package which is installed so wondering why
libKF5I18n5 would still be needed after updating to plasma 6 ?

--
Regards,

Joe