List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What is pulling in *-lang packages?
From:       Joe Salmeri <jmscdba () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-05-02 18:25:15

On 4/18/24 2:07 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

>>      PS> but, quite a few of us do and whether we "all" do or not is
>>      PS> irrelivant. the problem, anomaly does exist and is of concern
>> to those
>>      PS> who do.
>>
>>      PS> I have seen the problem for years not and frequently: rpm -e
>> --nodeps
>>      PS> iso-codes-lang ; zypper -v rm *-lang
>>
>> Maybe it's time to add --nodeps flag to zypper
>>

> You explicitly told zypper that you want locale support. Now you
> complain that zypper installs locale support and want flag to tell
> zypper to ignore what you configured.
>
> If you do not want locale support, do not configure zypper to install
> locale related packages.

I have not modified the default zypper config and yet I also run into
the issue of the language packages being installed.

zypper lloc

Code  | Language                | Requested
------+-------------------------+----------
en    | English                 | Fallback
en_US | English (United States) | Requested

grep -i locale /etc/zypp/zypp*.conf

/etc/zypp/zypp.conf:## A list of locales for which translated package
descriptions should
/etc/zypp/zypp.conf:## Valid values:  List of locales like 'en', 'en_US'...
/etc/zypp/zypp.conf:## If data for a specific locale are not available,
we try to find some
/etc/zypp/zypp.conf:# repo.refresh.locales = en, de

All configuration lines are just comments.

The zypper addlock '*-lang" didn't work for me because then when
iso-codes-lang needs updating it fails because it is locked.

I end up manually removing all *-lang packages except for iso-codes-lang
and then added locks for all the language packages that I removed.

Whenever a new one gets installed I remove it and add a lock for it.

So where is the configuration that you refer to that will stop it from
installing the language packages ?

--
Regards,

Joe