List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Plasma 6 and Wayland from Review of the week 2024/09
From:       Joe Salmeri <jmscdba () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-03-08 16:14:34

On 3/1/24 11:36, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
> The staging lists and backlog are largely filled with the same old
> topics:
>
> * KDE Frameworks and Plasma 6: Staging turns out to be messy
> * KDE Gear 24.02.0 – Requires KDE Frameworks 6
> * KDE Frameworks and Plasma 6: Staging turns out to be messy

I see that plasma 6 is now in staging.

Is there any information as to how this will roll out to TW ?

Specifically, Plasma 6 is supposed to default to Wayland but TW was originally \
installed with X11.

Will Plasma 6 on TW force us to switch to Wayland or will X11 also still be supported \
?

I have a server which is used by multiple users who connect via Remote Destkop ( xrdp \
) and from what I've found Wayland does not have support for rdp yet. It seems that \
it has Remote Control support where you can login to an existing desktop session but \
not Remote Desktop for multiple concurrent sessions as well as the existing server \
login session.

FWIW, arch recently rolled out Plasma 6 and my arch machine defaulted to Wayland on \
the next install after rebooting and when you login on the console it just displays a \
black screen and the desktop never appears.    I still haven't found the source of \
that issue BUT switching arch back to Plasma X11 on the login screen works fine.

Anywhere that I can read more about the Plasma 6 rollout plans ?

Thanks !

--
Regards,

Joe