List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [factory] [15.6] dracut requires wicked?!?!
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2024-02-05 20:17:58

Martin Wilck composed on 2024-02-05 14:41 (UTC+0100):

> On Mon, 2024-02-05 at 08:32 +0100, Antonio Feijoo Factory wrote:

>> The following requirement was already added for 15.5:

>> ```
>> Requires:       (iputils or arping2 or wicked)
>> ```

>> But yes, maybe it does no make much sense for desktop-only use cases.

> this would only trigger if someone had neither iputils nor arping2 nor
> wicked installed. It is important because network device bringup in the
> initrd may fail without it. We can't simply remove it.

> I guess we can add NetworkManager in the list (I am not sure what NM
> uses to check for duplicate address detection; but if NM is in use, I
> don't think we'll use the network-legacy dracut module, right?)

I can't see how that would help here. I thought I made it evident in OP that
neither NM nor Wicked are installed, thus can't be responsible for network setup
here. systemd-networkd.socket is all I have explicitly enabled to bring up networking.

> We can consider modularizing the dracut package more, so that only the
> ifup-legacy subpackage depends on wicked. But that's about all we can
> do here.
Antonio Feijoo composed on 2024-02-05 17:32 (UTC+0100):

> Yes, shipping a network subpackage seems the cleanest way, BTW adopted by
> Fedora/RH [1] since forever [2].

> [1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/dracut/blob/rawhide/f/dracut.spec#_151
> [2]
https://github.com/dracutdevs/dracut/commit/ec74fa8789453a7949869947ba07e66b27e24512

I use only systemd-network on Fedora as well, on every systemd distro actually.
Leap is my primary and very most used. Home. :)
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata