List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [Leap] Why "Mesa", "Alsa" and "Cups" in Server Role (400 Mb)
From:       Simon Lees <sflees () suse ! de>
Date:       2023-08-23 1:40:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 8/22/23 00:22, Lubos Kocman via openSUSE Factory wrote:
> For sure we can open a request here to revisit Server role
> https://code.opensuse.org/leap/features/new_issue
>
> However, seems like we inherit all system roles from SLES
>
> Example:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/openSUSE:Leap:15.5/system-role-server-default
>
> Any experimenting with patterns/roles where we would diverge from SLES
> would be against the current ideology of Leap. Better way would be to
> push the change to SLES first, but  I am afraid that changing
> packageset installed with particular system role one SP before the very
> last planned one is bit too late.
>
> It's definitely topic for next-gen, when we'll have free hands as ALP
> base that we plan to build up on does not consist of any desktop.
>
> Also if you care about space usage, why not to try Leap Micro?

In terms of the contents of the server pattern more broadly, we
currently also offer a "Minimal/Custom" role which already fills the
need for people who want less then the server role. I think making the
server role much smaller will probably bring it too close to the minimal
role.

--
Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

["OpenPGP_signature.asc" (application/pgp-signature)]