List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: openSUSE Release Engineering meeting 03.05.2023 - MicroOS KDE
From:       Richard Brown <rbrown () suse ! de>
Date:       2023-05-14 11:51:56

On 2023-05-13 09:40, Eric Schirra wrote:

> A user base, as the name suggests, lays a foundation for the commercial
> product. Microsoft has mastered this like no other company.
> So if the developers keep to themselves and don't focus on increasing
> the user
> base, sooner or later the commercial sector will feel the effects.
> So, the more openSUSE users, the less users who support SLES at work.
> Thus
> SLES has sometime no more e relevance. I have made the experience that
> if you
> want SLES products, you have to fight for it. That used to be
> different.

Your seem to think there is a direct relationship between the size of
the openSUSE user base and the size of the SLE userbase.

There is no proof of that.

Again, the statistics suggest there is no such relationship.
SUSE's SLE sales have grown many, many times larger than openSUSE's
userbase, at rates much faster than any growth openSUSE's userbase may
have seen.

This has included SLE sales growing when openSUSE's userbase has not.
Talking to SLE customers, very few cite openSUSE as a reason they chose
to buy SLE.
And, very few customers have used the new Leap > SLE migration path.

So really, no, you cannot make a strong argument that SUSE needs to
invest in openSUSE's userbase for it's business.
SUSE will invest in it's userbase.
openSUSE needs to invest in it's contributor base to keep itself
sustainable.