List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: ALP WG Meeting minutes - July 5th 2022
From:       Dan =?utf-8?B?xIxlcm3DoWs=?= <dcermak () suse ! com>
Date:       2022-07-08 6:44:14

Hi Basil,

"Basil Cat" <catice567@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
> How much will ALP differ from Micro Os? Will it follow the same goal as SLE/Leap?

ALP will (probably[1]) be even more "radical" and different than MicroOS
when compared to a more traditional Linux distribution like Leap. The
basic idea is to rethink the current approach how we build Linux
distributions, experiment with new means to maintain and distribute
software to provide a net benefit to our users in the long haul.

ALP will probably feature a very tiny base operating system with most of
the software distributed as containers and flatpaks on top of
that. There are ideas of multiple streams co-existing (e.g. stable, LTS,
beta) floating around as well as some other new approaches.

However, as I said, much is still in flux and only because ALP will
follow down a certain path, does not mean the community spin has to
follow, albeit it would be beneficial for both parties (the community
and SUSE), which is why we're having this discussion here.

Hope this helps a bit,

Dan

Footnotes:
[1]  A lot is still in flux and hasn't been nailed down yet.

--
Dan Čermák <dcermak@suse.com>
Software Engineer Development tools

(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)
Managing Director/Geschäftsführer: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Boudien Moerman