List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Cleanup Tumbleweed new release changelogs
From:       Christian Boltz <opensuse () cboltz ! de>
Date:       2022-01-25 20:33:39

Hello,

Am Dienstag, 25. Januar 2022, 14:47:33 CET schrieb Dominique Leuenberger
/ DimStar:
> On Sat, 2022-01-22 at 20:27 +0100, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> > Does it really make sense to send the whole changelog of the
> > package. As a sysadmin, I would like to see quickly what the
> > changes are between currently installed and the upcoming version so
> > I can make a decision how to react, cosmetic or security related.
> > For the former I may prefer to wait, if it is not an issue for my
> > system.
>
> The changelog generator between snapshots is actually instructed to
> find the entry that was last there, and only put the newer stuff on
> the mailing list (this never works with reverts, as the 'top most'
> changelog entry would not be found)

Still, shortening the changelog to a sane amount of lines would avoid
the "worst case" of having the full changelog in the "new snapshot"
mail.

Which reminds me - I opened a PR for this years ago, but it's still
open:
    https://github.com/openSUSE/openSUSE-release-tools/pull/1726

Yan you look at it again, and maybe even merge it? ;-)
(I know it's flagged as "changes requested", but please read my comment
that explains why I did things the way I did. IMHO the requested change
would make the result slightly worse.)

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare
at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".