List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Heads up: UsrMerge impact imminent
From:       Aleksa Sarai <asarai () suse ! de>
Date:       2021-06-11 12:08:44

On 2021-06-11, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 4:03 AM Aleksa Sarai <asarai@suse.de> wrote:

> > > We don't support filesystems without RENAME_EXCHANGE, and this code
> > > makes the change not atomic and frankly quite scary. Shouldn't you bug
> > > the OpenZFS people to implement renameat(2) instead?
> >
> > I just ran into this bug today, and I realised that this bug actually
> > also affects users who run containers on *different hosts* that have ZFS
> > as the backing filesystem. For instance, running Tumbleweed on Ubuntu
> > (which has ZFS as the default filesystem) will result in this error
> > being triggered. (I personally run LXD containers on openSUSE with a ZFS
> > storage driver, but this same thing would happen with Docker or LXD on
> > Ubuntu or any other distribution with ZFS.)
> >

> ZFS is *not* the default on Ubuntu. You have to explicitly select this
> when setting up disks. I literally just did an Ubuntu installation a
> couple of days ago for work, and it didn't select ZFS when running
> through the default installation.

Sorry, I'd heard that this was the case second-hand and didn't
double-check before sending the mail (though it is still a supported
configuration).

In any case, the inatomic fallback was merged, so this problem was
already solved (though it's not in a snapshot yet, which is why I just
ran into it).

> And anyway, if you're doing containers, you can blow them away and
> start over, right? That's the point of containers... RIGHT?!

I mean, depends on how you're running things. LXD containers aren't
really like that, they're more akin to VMs in terms of how they're
managed.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)