List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Heads up: UsrMerge impact imminent
From:       Ahmad Samir <a.samirh78 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-06-09 12:45:55

On 31/05/2021 13:53, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may have noticed Factory activated the UsrMerge last week.
> Tumbleweed tests in openQA look good, only a non-usrmerge related bug
> prevents the release. I haven't received a lot of feedback from the call
> for testing so I hope that means the migration works really well :-)
>
> Therefore *your next dup will automatically and live migrate your
> installation* to UsrMerge. Make sure to actually use "dup" and not just
> "up".
>
> Means everything in /bin, /sbin, /lib and /lib64 will be merged into
> their counterparts in /usr, then replacing those directories with
> symlinks to /usr. After the migration packages that have compat symlinks
> like eg /bin/foo -> /usr/bin/foo will no longer be installable as they
> conflict with themselves. All packages in the distro have been fixed though.
>
> Due to the full rebuild and activation of gcc11 as default compiler the
> next snapshot will be a big one, so make sure to have sufficient disk space.
>
> If you are not on btrfs with snapshots and are nervous to break the
> system you may want to make sure eg busybox-static is installed. So if
> thing unexpectedly go wrong you have the tools to complete the usrmerge
> manually. There is no way back.
>
> cu
> Ludwig

I updated my system, and all went well. :)

Except for the issue with the kernel's build and source dir symlinks, but thanks to \
the heads up  https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/list/factory@lists.opensuse.org/thread/46QFICGMUJEEERLM72AT5W4X4N2UT2U7/ \
 , I fixed them manually for now. Otherwise, good stuff.

Good work, thanks o/

Have a good day.

--
Ahmad Samir