List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Please remove the xwayland ("Wayland") and wayland ("Full Wayland") sessions as we know them
From:       Fabian Vogt <fvogt () suse ! de>
Date:       2021-05-16 20:05:49

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 16. Mai 2021, 21:36:51 CEST schrieb Andrés Barrantes Silman:
> > I'm wondering about the timing of this change. While it might make sense to do \
> > this together with the 5.22 update, IMO it's also not great to have too many \
> > changes at once.
>
> To be honest, I was thinking the same. No problem for me if we can delay it a \
> little bit.
> > If the concept of having separate sessions for "app compatibility" and "wayland \
> > features" is dropped, then setting QT_QPA_PLATFORM and GDK_BACKEND has to be \
> > dropped as well.
>
> Just to be clear, so the consensus is to keep the "Full Wayland" session as-is \
> (included by default or not?) and make the "Wayland" session vanilla?

The "XWayland" session with its goal of being more compatible with applications
designed for X11 has the downside of not allowing certain Wayland features to
work, so the "Full Wayland" session was introduced to counteract that by
restoring the Wayland default for GTK and Qt applications, i.e. being the
vanilla Wayland session again. When the "Wayland" session no longer defaults
applications to use X11, then there's no difference to "Full Wayland" anymore.

Though if it turns out that we have to make some applications (like KMail)
default to X11 again, we might also need some switch to turn that back off.
This could be done using a different kind of "Full Wayland" session then.

Cheers,
Fabian