List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Please remove the xwayland ("Wayland") and wayland ("Full Wayland")
From:       "Peter Clark" <peter.clark () ngic ! com>
Date:       2021-05-10 17:30:53

I just checked this on the pet VM on my personal laptop as I had been seeing \
VBoxClient errors there.  It turns out the errors are only happening with Plasma X11 \
and not with either of the Wayland session types.  I updated VirtualBox and the \
client tools to the latest release from from upstream make sure it wasn't just an \
issue of an outdated VirtualBox installation.

My preference in general in the capacity of Linux enthustiast would be to have the \
target future state in Tumbleweed for canary testing.

The desktop in general is not relevant to my professional use case, however.  For \
that work, csnary testing such as f2fs is called for with the goal of hosting things \
like Rancher on a filesystem that is less chatty than XFS with its journalling. \\

For canary testing f2fs in Tumbleweed, KDE Wayland has been useful. It is complex \
enough to provide a non-trivial amount of use to the filesystem.  In the 1990s, we \
would compile the kernel as the most effective way to test RAM when it was suspected \
as a problem.

While I wouldn't mind if the VBoxClient error were eventually worked on for Plasma \
X11, one minute spent looking at this on my behalf would be a minute too long.  I \
would prefer to see issues such as the default permissions of /var/lib/nobody (which \
are now enforced by a package) addressed, since things like that are relevant to the \
current enterprise use case.