List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: Please remove the xwayland ("Wayland") and wayland ("Full Wayland")
From:       Andrés_Barrantes_Silman <andresbs2000 () protonmail ! com>
Date:       2021-03-13 4:03:26

These have been my findings on these two days of using the "unpatched" session:

- QT_QPA_PLATFORM defaults to xcb but the Plasma session itself is running on \
Wayland, this can be verified via system settings. XDG_SESSION_TYPE is wayland. When \
checked through qtdiag on Konsole, it reports xcb.

- Spectacle's rectangular selection does not work on xcb, so out of the box this can \
cause annoyances. If forced to wayland, it works fine but Spectacle itself appears on \
the screenshot or in the middle of the fading out animation.

- Discord, Element, Firefox (with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1), Signal, PLECS, MATLAB, \
Codium, GIMP, KiCad, LibreOffice, Inkscape and Kdenlive seemed to work with no \
problems on the "upstream" session. All the electron apps in the list are running on \
flatpak except Codium.

- As usual, the NVIDIA GPU (Optimus) feature of PRIME render offload did not work on \
Wayland, nevermind launching a full session.

- Kdenlive crashes if forced to Wayland, but it does work under xcb. Error info on \
Wayland seems to not help much by itself: QWaylandGLContext::makeCurrent: eglError: \
3009, this: 0x562426067b00  QWaylandGLContext::makeCurrent: eglError: 3009, this: \
0x5624272cc5d0  QWaylandGLContext::makeCurrent: eglError: 3009, this: 0x7faf18009410
QOpenGLFunctions created with non-current context

Under xcb it detects NVENC, as expected. Can't tell for Wayland since it was \
crashing, but in theory it should.

- On either session, I could not type "tildes" (spanish accent mark) on Telegram - \
Flatpak. No idea why this would happen, but this was not an issue on Firefox, \
seééééééé thís.

- On LibreOffice, the tilde was not working for QT...=wayland, but on xcb it did.

- I set my default session to Plasma (Wayland) and almost forgot I had it that way; \
aside from the Spectacle issue and the inherent smoothness to using Wayland, I could \
not notice an important difference from the XOrg session, which from my point of view \
is good news for Plasma in general.

- Right click menu on Full Wayland seemed to be unrealiable: sometimes it would \
ignore my left click when selecting an option.

- Sometimes it would be obvious when something was running on XWayland because the \
application would launch into a blackscreen during the fraction of a second.

- On QT...=wayland Plasma would misplace prompts (e.g. Gparted asking for permission) \
at the top left corner, while if QT... is not forced by me this would not happen.

I think a good approach would be to keep Full Wayland as is and have a Wayland \
session without "the patch" (not force any variables in that one).

This option would also allow users with the appropriate knowledge to create their own \
.desktop sessions and fine tune their experience, but they can already sort of do \
that. The key difference is that they can force GDK_BACKEND if preferred, but only if \
they want to.

If some help is needed to test something, let me know.
* That is, once my ISP gets his .... right and I can do the 5.85 GB update that just \
dropped on my main laptop :D