List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] New Tumbleweed snapshot 20200220 released! - hanging update of an older syste
From:       AW <alexander.willand () t-online ! de>
Date:       2020-02-25 7:05:46

Am Sonntag, 23. Februar 2020, 15:05:43 CET schrieb Ulf Bartholomäus:
> Hi Together,
>
> yesterday I updated a system which I not use so often.
> During the update on the GUI (via Plasma SW-update), this hangs / crashes
> with 50% progress.
>
> Also at manual start of zypper and yast -i they crashed!
>
> OK, aware the /etc/nsswitch.conf I do at first the "rpmconfigcheck".
>
> cp /etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew /etc/nsswitch.conf
> solve the problem - but how a normal user should know it?
>
> Please due in case of mandatory changes - the changes in the file directly
> and copy the original one to *.rpmsave - this is the better way from my
> point of view.
>
> Thanks
> Ulf

Hi Ulf, hi »all«,

I'm a user of TW, but not an IT-professional. So I'd really like to avoid the
trouble of a non booting or hanging system after the 20200220 update.

After reading this thread, I tested my sytem:

=== === ===
linux-izun:/home/AW # rpmconfigcheck
Searching for unresolved configuration files
Please check the following files (see /var/adm/rpmconfigcheck):
    /etc/nsswitch.conf.rpmnew
    /etc/postfix/main.cf.rpmnew
    /etc/postfix/master.cf.rpmnew
    /etc/profile.d/zzz-texlive.csh.rpmsave
    /etc/profile.d/zzz-texlive.sh.rpmsave
    /etc/pulse/client.conf.d/50-system.conf.rpmsave
    /etc/sysctl.conf.rpmnew
    /etc/systemd/system.conf.rpmnew
    /etc/zypp/zypp.conf.rpmnew

So it seems my sytem is affected, right?

What is the best way to avoid havoc while upgrading using zypper dup? I'd like
to do something _in_advance_ to the upgrade to prevent the trouble.

By the way: I never touched nsswitch.conf.

Regards,

Alexander