List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Comparing chronyd and systemd-timesyncd memory ussage [Was: ntpd stop script
From:       Simon Lees <sflees () suse ! de>
Date:       2018-11-23 0:32:04

On Thu, 2018-11-22 at 15:15 +0100, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2018, 14:46:55 +0100, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@telefonica.net> [11-22-18 07:43]:
> > > [...]
> > > Marco asked politely. I stopped this thread when I saw his post.
> > > Simon's was redundant and aggressive.
> > >
> > > I'm not aware of other threads. As I do not detect what you
> > > consider
> > > offtopic or excessive chat here, I ask a *kind* request on every
> > > such
> > > thread. Usually Patrick does that.
> >
> > yet the "Thread" continues and is still off-topic here.
>
> if *you* want to complain about people following up on this thread
> here,
> why don't you re-direct them using the usual ways to other media? One
> way would be to *not* post to the same list...
>
> To be honest, *iff* you/other board members believe, we need a pure,
> development only list, then *create one*!

We have, its this one, most people seem to understand that fine you just
need to update the mapping in your head so that factory == development,
since the dawn of time openSUSE development has happened in the factory
project / repository. Yes some people don't get the name at first so we
remind them, but in our opinion its not worth the effort to rename /
move this list when most people get it anyway. What openSUSE mailing
lists are used for is decided collectively by the openSUSE project not
by what someone thinks they should be.

> Sorry, but appr. 50% of this thread is mostly dealing with complaints
> about messages which don't belong here. If the board believes
> decisions
> about "ntpd is too old" vs. "chrony is new enough" (because bug
> reports
> still come in), then OK, please blame me and potentially black-list
> me,
> but I'm really over it now (TM).

Well this thread started with what probably should have been a bug
report, but unless someone is consistently posting here rather then
making bug reports we will generally let it slide. The rest of the
thread might have made sense if we were having a discussion on why we
should change the system default rather then what makes sense atm in
someones personal case. For reference we are currently following what
SLE is / will be using as it means we get enterprise support for free
along with additional testing / QA, if someone put together a really
compelling argument about why we should not be following SLE for the
system default then lets have that discussion. If you just want to
discuss the merits of each for your use case then we have the opensuse@
of the services we also have opensuse-support@

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30