List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
From:       Joachim Wagner <jwagner () computing ! dcu ! ie>
Date:       2018-05-28 7:55:10

> Reality is that the only justification for DES is that it is cheap and easy.

The ability to decrypt old archives / backup data is a good reason to keep
support for legacy ciphers.

I agree that software that only supports old ciphers needs new contributors
and/or maintainers to modernise the software and failing this we shouldn't
spend valuable resources on creating packages for such software.

If the package creating effort is minimal and the main concern is to not
promote usage of old, dangerous software an alternative to dropping the
package is to include a warning message in the description field and "legacy"
in the package name.

Joachim