List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
From:       Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk () suse ! de>
Date:       2018-05-25 6:15:26

On Thu, May 24, Michal Kubecek wrote:

> Not every package requires continuous development. There are simple
> utilities or libraries which "just work" and there is no point releasing
> updates every few months (or even weeks), even if it is considred
> "modern" or even "sign of life" by some.

I fully agree, there is software developed over 20 years ago, so you
can assume that meanwhile the bugs are found and fixed. Only every
few years an update for adjustements to the latest gcc is necessary.
Only because no bugs were found and got fixed, this does not mean the
project is dead or unuseable.
I know several of such cases.

But on the other side, if such projects use DES or bigcrypt encryption,
you should seriously consider to drop the usage of such software,
because today this are really no serious and secure algorithm anymore.
I also know several of such cases. I wouldn't add any of them today
to openSUSE.

  Thorsten