List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed full disk encryption passphrase
From:       Johannes Meixner <jsmeix () suse ! de>
Date:       2018-05-24 15:07:38

Hello,

On May 24 11:09 Johannes Meixner wrote (excerpt):
> On May 23 20:13 Frank Kunz wrote (excerpt):
>> ... I need to follow the company (where I work) password
>> guideline. And this requires special chars :-/
>
> Sigh!
> I know, I know, I also suffer from that annoyance
> at various places where I need a password.

right now it happened that I got a nice example
of elaborated password requirements.

It shows this text:
Please enter your new password.
The setting of the password is allowed only once a day.
The password must not contain your given name, surname and userid.
The password must not contain more than three identical characters.
It must consist of 8-12 characters,
at least one uppercase letter,
at least one lower case letter,
at least one number and
at least one special character.
Permitted special characters: ! $ % & ( ) = ? * + # - _ . :

Additionally that site requires me to replace my password
relatively often (every few month) and of course it remembers
my old passwords (hopefully a hash but I won't trust them so far)
because another requirement is that a new password
must not have been used before.

Readers skilled in combinatorical analysis may calculate
how much those requirements shrink the search space
and how much easier all those requirements make it
for computers to guess such passwords.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)