List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What about PyPI itself? [Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages]
From:       Simon Lees <sflees () suse ! de>
Date:       2018-05-23 7:49:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

On 23/05/18 01:54, Mike Henry wrote:
>> However, what is the advantage of
>> having packaged PyPI package, which is completely ignored in
>> OpenSUSE repositories, has just minimal number of users?
>
> If you are a python developer, you should be using pip. You can avoid
> the issue of root with pip install --user foo, and you should be doing
> something like using a virtual env to isolate your system python. If
> you are an end user of some python program, you expect it to be
> installed with zypper and integrated into the OS correctly. I'm not
> sure why package maintainers would package python packages that are
> not involved in packages/applications.

This depends very much on what sort of python developer you are, I have
a bunch of small tools written in python it is simple and easy enough to
use python as provided by openSUSE if a library is missing that I need
then generally I just package it. So unless you really care about
different python versions there is no need for pip. Especially if you
are writing python programs to be used in openSUSE.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30