List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: What about PyPI itself? [Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages]
From:       Mike Henry <mikejackofalltrades () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-05-22 16:24:37

> However, what is the advantage of
> having packaged PyPI package, which is completely ignored in
> OpenSUSE repositories, has just minimal number of users?

If you are a python developer, you should be using pip. You can avoid
the issue of root with pip install --user foo, and you should be doing
something like using a virtual env to isolate your system python. If
you are an end user of some python program, you expect it to be
installed with zypper and integrated into the OS correctly. I'm not
sure why package maintainers would package python packages that are
not involved in packages/applications.