List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Can I remove locks in TW
From:       Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <dimstar () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2017-09-26 15:37:18

On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 17:26 +0200, Maximilian Trummer wrote:
> Am 2017-09-26 um 16:00 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar:
> > On Tue, 2017-09-26 at 15:55 +0200, Bernhard M. Wiedemann wrote:
> > > zypper dup --no-recommends --no-allow-vendor-change
> >
> >                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Just mentioning it again (Steter Tropfen höhlt den Stein): this is
> > the
> > default in Tumbleweed for a few weeks already, see
> > https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2017-07/msg00172.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dominique
> >

> Why is --no-recommends not default as well?

Because it's wrong - Recommends are there to offere 'a complete'
experiecne for applications; if you belive you can live without them,
you can't complain if a non-madnatory feature of an application is not
running (what you consider mandatory does not have to be mandatory for
an application; think about a document viewer like evince: NONE of the
formats it supports is mandatory to be supported by the viewer. Several
 of them, though, we tagged as recommended - based on what the
application is most often used for)

We have three levels in package dependencies:

Requires: the application cannot operate without this dependency
Recommends: The application/package is usable, but can miss features.
It's up to the packagers to get a balance here
Suggests: Additional enhanced features can be added as suggests; An
application can potentially do even more than what a majority expects
of it.

No doubt, though: some packages are a bit eager in recommending other
things (e.g. xmlto, converting xml files to other formats, recommending
texlive, really?)

Cheers,
Dominique