List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Changing GNOME/GTK Python package devel projects
From:       Luiz Fernando Ranghetti <elchevive68 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-08-24 18:55:54

<dimstar@opensuse.org>:
> On Thu, 2017-08-24 at 15:22 -0300, Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
>> <dimstar@opensuse.org>:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Why python-gnome-extras was removed from Factory? I had a package
>> that
>> uses it for spell check (virtaal)
>>

> virtaal claims those dependencies:
>
> BuildRequires:  desktop-file-utils
> BuildRequires:  fdupes
> BuildRequires:  gettext-runtime
> BuildRequires:  hicolor-icon-theme
> BuildRequires:  libglade2
> BuildRequires:  python-curl
> BuildRequires:  python-devel
> BuildRequires:  python-gtk
> BuildRequires:  translate-toolkit
> BuildRequires:  update-desktop-files
>
> Requires:       %{name}-lang = %{version}
> Requires:       python-gobject2
> Requires:               python-gtk
> Requires:       python-lxml
> Requires:       translate-toolkit
> #the optional ones (for full experience)
> Requires:       gtkspell
> Requires:       python-curl
> Requires:       python-Levenshtein
> Requires:       python-psycopg2
> Requires:       python-simplejson
> Requires:       xdg-utils
>
> Nothing of that is/was provided by python-gnome-extras - any package,
> before it's being deleted from Factory, is checked if it has reverse
> dependencies: if there are none (as was identified for python-gnome-
> extras) a delete request can proceed. Of course, if packagers don't
> specify their deps, this will break (as will the package on users
> machines if the deps are not properly specified) - and is a bug.
>
> If you want to resurrect such obsolete code, be prepared to maintain
> it. The original maintainers will certainly not have an interest in it
> anymore (or they would not have filed delete requests to start with).
>
> Cheers,
> Dominique

Hi,

It doesn't claim anymore because I drop this requirement 2 days ago:

after the repo-checker told me nothing provides python-gnome-extras 7 days ago:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/M17N/virtaal

I don't want to maintain it, I was just curious about why its dropped
as it was a requirements for another package. The answer could be: its
unmantained, its a dead code, doesn't compile anymore, noone cares,
etc

Regards,

Luiz