List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] Disabling rpm-installed cron jobs (was: Google chrome installation)
From:       Todd Rme <toddrme2178 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-04-20 2:54:24

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@telefonica.net> wrote:
> On 2017-04-18 12:56, Todd Rme wrote:

> > > Just add the third party repository that contains Google Chrome.
> >
> > I have this problem too. Somehow the repository gets automatically
> > removed at seemingly random intervals, even if I add it manually.
> >
> > Also, the third party repository documented on the wiki doesn't work anymore.
>
> I see.
>
> Google uses a dirty trick, IMHO. It installs a cronjob in \
> "/etc/cron.daily/google-chrome", which every day tries to add the repository again \
> and again. I use aparmour to deny this script the permission to run.
> The repository is "http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable", or rather: \
> "http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64".
>
> cer@Telcontar:~> cat /etc/apparmor.d/etc.cron.daily.google-chrome
> # Last Modified: Tue Dec 16 01:13:01 2014
> #include <tunables/global>
>
> #CER: Deny Google-chrome cron script permission to run, because it insists on \
> installing the repository on every day.
> /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome {
> #include <abstractions/base>
> #include <abstractions/bash>
>

> /bin/bash ix,
> /dev/tty rw,
> deny /etc/cron.daily/google-chrome r,
>
> }
> cer@Telcontar:~>
>

> Deleting the cronjob is not enough, because an update of the rpm reinstalls it.

When dealing with the issue of google chrome sometimes inexplicably
deleting its own repositry, the issue seems to be around a cron job
the rpm creates to install its repository. The solution someone came
up with was to use AppArmor to block the cron job.

But this seems to be a major workaround for what I would have guessed
would be a simple task: disabling cron jobs.  Is there really no way
to override the cron jobs installed by an rpm?