List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed Live KDE and EFI Secure Boot
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-06-17 15:14:04

On Friday, June 17, 2016 3:01:15 PM PDT H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:40:53 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer
>
> <roger.oberholtzer@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My daughter has asked me to install Linux on her new Lenovo laptop.
> > Before doing so, I thought I would try a Live Tumbleweed version to
> > see what might be a problem.
>
> Go for Leap!
>
> Having bleading edge SUSE on your daughters laptop is asking for a
> *lot* of (value)time being spent on her laptop. *YOU* might be
> expecting fallout or trouble, but your daughter won't. I speak from
> experience. My daughter is very happy with Leap.

+1

I've helped several people with this choice - Tumbleweed or Leap. In every
case, the person has made the choice to go with Leap.

With Tumbleweed, I was bit by the systemd/pam issue (which was resolved
quickly, thanks all!). These users could/would not have dealt with it. The
Leap installations have been flawless ... except for one person who had a
problem with "my Linux". It actually turned out to be a Windows-in-VM issue
that was resolved with a known-good snapshot (which they figured out).

If your daughter doesn't need the benefits of Tumbleweed, I strongly recommend
Leap.