List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] zypper -v up/dup process info
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-03-13 19:56:11

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 3:26:39 PM PDT Felix Miata wrote:
> Carl Symons composed on 2016-03-13 15:13 (UTC-0500):
> > On Sunday, March 13, 2016 1:24:05 PM PDT Felix Miata wrote:
> >> Carl Symons composed on 2016-03-13 09:31 (UTC-0700):

> >> And what does logging-to-gile accomplish that dumping a new packages
> >> listing instead of listing old packages to be updated right in your face
> >> does not?>
> > It decreases complaining.
>
> How?

The answer will probably become clearer.

> > It reduces the effort required from someone who
> > apparently is not all that interested or who may not see this issue as
> > something that needs to be fixed.
>
> Not doing something is not doing something. In the real world, effort cannot
> be reduced below zero.

Someone who is already doing something is already doing something, and any
task not done reduces their overall effort expenditure. In the real world,
everyone who disagrees with me is irrational.

> What is logging-to-file, another component of that morass that is systemd's
> journal?

Morass please.

That question has been asked with more persuasive pleasant
words ...How does one "turn on logging-to-file"?

> How often does anyone using the -v switch on zypper up/dup actually care at
> all about the current most prominently displayed output?

This happens somewhere in the world approximately every 13 hours and 45
minutes. It's hard to tell if the -v switchers _actually_ care. They may be
doing it just for fun.