List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] Re: btrfs fun / disk full
From:       Achim Gratz <Stromeko () nexgo ! de>
Date:       2016-02-25 20:14:35

Chris Murphy writes:
> A better qualification is to say "when people have bad disk full Btrfs
> experiences" the typical case is because data chunks have free space
> but metadata chunks don't. If metadata chunks are completely full, and
> there's no unallocated space to create more metadata chunks, the file
> system will ENOSPC and some really unpredictable things can happen
> including inability to delete files.
[…]

I just wanted to let you know that this post saved my bacon yesterday
when the root fs ran out of metadata chunks while downloading the update
packages and systemd decided it should roll over the logs at the same
time.  With over 30GiB free according to df I would not have known what
to make of all these ENOSPC errors spewing from dmesg.

A rebalance didn't work until I deleted a few old snapshots and then it
took quite some time, but it did recover some 20GiB to "unallocated",
so it should be a while before this happens again (I hope).

Regards,
Achim.