List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] SR workflow + beware Tumbleweed nodejs users: do *not* update to 5.6.0
From:       Julian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=E4ume?= <julian () svg4all ! de>
Date:       2016-02-23 19:59:39

Hi!

Today I had the chance to submit my first SR to a larger project (nodejs),
because it had been broken in the devel project. I've been using the
development project, because a few month back the version in Tumbleweed was
broken and I forgot to switch back.

After a recent update, the development version broke, so I provided a fix for
it. The SR actually got rejected with the comment, that my changes have been
merged into some other development project, where an update is performed. Of
course this hides the credits for the actual fix, but that's fine with me. While
browsing through the project, I realized a pending SR from the devel project
into factory. I added a comment, stating that this should never be accepted,
because it totally breaks the installation. One hour later, the SR actually
got accepted and is now in factory. I don't think, openQA will find the issue
and I guess, this broken version will be pushed to Tumbleweed users, soon.

So to all Tumbleweed users relying on nodejs, please do *not* upgrade to
5.6.0. Once 5.7.0 is published, everything should be fine, again.

Now what puzzles me: what should I have done to have this SR prevented from
being accepted? The commenting system does not seem to be enough. Sometimes,
I've seen a "review" option in the SR, but it was not there for this
particular SR (may be, because somebody already "reviewed it as green", or I'm
not allowed to add a review to SR for factory). I'm just curious, what I
should do, should such a situation happen, again.

A second thing, I'd like to know, is how to proceed, now. Should I open
another SR to the devel project? Because the update to the next version still
seems to be pending with failing build, so it might still take a while. I just
want the Tumbleweed version to be fixed ASAP.

Currently, I have a working branch installed, so everything is fine for me ;)
Of course I also care for my fellow Tumbleweed users.

best regards
julian