List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Concerning the release cycle, some ideas for refinement.
From:       Mustafa Muhammad <mustafaa.alhamdaani () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-11-18 11:45:34

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Roger Luedecke
<roger.luedecke@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 08:30 +0100, Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
>> On 11/17/2014 06:33 PM, Claudio Freire wrote:

>> > Question is, if having this marked beta will cause more testing than
>> > having it marked release candidate.
>> >
>> > Because there's already a lengthy time during which the images are
>> > released as "release candidate" and there still isn't enough bug
>> > swatting happening during that time. Will a beta period improve
>> > things?
>> >
>> > Also, in my lingo, beta < rc.
>> >
>> > Perhaps it's just a matter of sticking with RC longer and advertising
>> > and calling for testing more prominently.
>>
>> I wouldn't expect a big difference just by renaming things and adjusting
>> the time frames. I would actually change the process a bit.
>>
>> Right now, we set a proposed date for the release. We set the RC and
>> beta dates counting back from that day. The release happens in the
>> proposed release date if it's "good enough" to go which mainly means
>> that it's not badly broken.
>>
>> Just from the top of my head, an alternative could be like this (just a
>> first though). I'd NOT have a fixed date for the release in advance. We
>> set a date for the "freeze" (call it beta, call it RC, I don't mind).
>> For that frozen version (good enough for daily usage but not labeled as
>> definitive) we encourage everybody to report bugs and we classify their
>> severity. The actual release happens when the bugs count is below a
>> threshold. Let's say less than 3 critical bugs and less than 15 medium
>> bugs. I know bugzilla is currently a mess, but you get the idea.
>> Something more similar to what Debian does.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --
>> Ancor Gonz=C3=A1lez Sosa
>> YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH
> I like that idea. I think the freeze point too though should be
> considered as I mentioned, and pushed as the default download. Sure,
> some people may get a nasty surprise because they didn't read the bold
> print... but we can't really be faulted for people not wanting to read.
>
> --

I think labeling TW as Beta or RC (or open beta) is a bad idea, it
should be a stable rolling release distro, for more stable releases, I
think we should "branch" a beta, complete with its repos, then an RC,
then release only when it is really stable (more than anything we've
done before), just like what Ancor said.

Mustafa Muhammad