List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Request for package CUPS-PDF, please put the "cups-pdf" into Factory's of
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-06-20 14:49:32

On 20 June 2014 14:07, 1xx <itsango@gmail.com> wrote:

> By default, CUPS-PDF outputs to /var/spool/cups-pdf/.
> Ubuntu customizes it to "{$HOME}/PDF".
> Fedora customizes it to "{$DESKTOP}".
>
> The openSUSE's "Printing/cups-pdf" uses default.
> I think that "maintenance of the status quo" is desirable.
> Because many users have already used "Printing/cups-pdf".

Using /var/spool/cups-pdf is *very* un-discoverable to the average new
user and shouldn't be used.  Using the name "CUPS" in anything should
also be discouraged as the average user doesn't know what that is (nor
should they ever need to learn).  Placing it somewhere in their home
directory is not only more obvious but also probably more secure.  I'd
suggest not to use $Desktop though as modern KDE doesn't show desktop
icons by default, so something like {$HOME}/PDF or
"{$HOME}/Documents/PDF Printer" makes most sense to me.

John.