List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Let's keep acroread for pure reasons of usability.
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-10 10:58:07

On 9 November 2013 11:26, Robert Klein <kleinrob@mpip-mainz.mpg.de> wrote:

> You can use the mouse instead of CTRL-c and CTRL-v.  Your issue is
> rather, okular is in "rectangle selection mode" instead of test
> selection mode.  You can switch to text selection mode either by
> pressing the selection button in the upper right for at least a second
> and you get a list of selection modes to choose one (this _is_ a bit
> strange / unexpected / surprising)  _OR_ press CTRL-4.
>
> I don't know of a way to configure text selection mode as default, though.

With the default "Selection Tool" mode (ctrl-3) if I
click-drag-release a rectangle around some text a pop-up appears that
says:

Text (xx characters)
- Copy to Clipboard
- Search for > [with sub-menu for Google, etc]
Image (xx by yy pixels)
- Copy to Clipboard
- Save to file...

You only need to change to Text Selection if you want the caret
selection mode to highlight words that may not neatly fall in the
selection rectangle.  You can also choose Table Selection Mode for
copying tables.

Remember also that some PDF's are only images of text so cannot have
the text selected regardless.

John.