List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Requesting people to test RC1 of RC2 or whatever
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jos () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2013-11-04 11:33:19

On Sunday 03 November 2013 17:04:09 Basil Chupin wrote:
> A general question, and a whinge, about being asked to test a release of
> something like RC2 of oS.
>
> When such a request is made, what exactly is being asked of the user?

I worked hard to try and answer that question:
http://news.opensuse.org/?p=16783

If that article is not helpful to you, please tell me how I can improve it.

> I mean, how is it possible to test, for example, something like vlc,
> which is something essential to my needs, when not all of the
> dependencies can be satisfied?
>
> I can play BluRay DVDs on 12.3 - but there is no way I can do that in
> 13.1 RC2 (or any other earlier issues of 13.1). So *my* "testing" will
> result in saying that RC2 is a failure and I would tell others (if they
> asked) that oS 13.1 is to be avoided. Report this as a "bug"? To whom?
> And why? It works perfectly well in 12.3 so why shouldn't it work as
> well in 13.1? (Perhaps it would if the correct repos were available and
> synchronised with developments?)
>
> Or how can I try out some of the games when the GAMES repo in YaST is
> unavailable? I enjoy playing PySol - but this is not available. However,
> having some ability to fend for myself, I installed the game from the
> its source site. It works very well - but it is not quite the same as in
> 12.3 so somewhere, someone fiddles with PySolFC when it gets on to
> openSUSE. But who (and why)?
>
> (One other anomaly - and I don't know who to direct this question to,
> sorry: I and my wife also enjoy playing Freecell which is included in
> the application called 'aisleriot'. Irrespective of what is done to make
> it open in full screen mode it doesn't. But more annoying is that
> suddenly (for 13.1) clicking on a card to move it to a new location
> results in the card/stack of cards becoming invisible and only
> reappearing when it/they is/are moved to the new location.)
>
> 13.1 is now 5 days (my time/date) away from being GM - but not all the
> repos are available which will contain the final files for GA. Why
> aren't they available for activation in YaST in RC2?
>
> So, what is actually being asked of users when they are asked to, "Test.
> Test. Test!"? Or is this request just a parrot-like request because it
> is something which is "The done thing"?

You have been on the openSUSE-factory mailing list since 2006.

That is 7 years.

Are you saying that you don't know how we work? After all that time?

You don't know we do not ship multimedia codecs and why we don't? You don't
know these are provided by a third party (pacman)? And how?

You never experienced that repositories are not yet available for an
unreleased openSUSE version? You still have no idea why that is?

It's not like you haven't asked about this before, like, for the previous
release:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2013-03/msg00125.html

Please, show at least a LITTLE respect to the hard work of people on this
list and don't distract them with questions you really should know the answer
to.

Thanks,
Jos