List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] Re: why mandate for getting rid of sysVinit if equiv is needed on initrd?  (was R
From:       Linda Walsh <suse () tlinx ! org>
Date:       2013-02-28 3:17:46

Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
> El 27/02/13 14:59, Linda Walsh escribió:
>> but forcing equivalent functionality into initrd?
>
> Because mounting functionality-critical filesystems belong to the initrd
> and not elsewhere. Unless your idea is to make distribution maintenance
> a hell.
----
	Huh?  My idea is how it has been for the past 40 years.
Suddenly it is broken?

	Correct me if I am wrong, but before 12.1, The system used to
start 'critical filesystem functions' from the root disk via the scripts
in /etc/boot.d

	Then runlevel scripts (rc{1-5}) were called to start up the system.

	It appears that systemd is taking the place of rc{1-5}, which I
don't have huge issues with.

	But it doesn't take the place of the /etc/boot.d scripts -- we've
ben told it is, but it doesn't -- instead, they are all being moved onto
initrd, where it makes user maintenance and control a nightmare.

	how does moving these file critical functions out of /etc/boot.d
onto an initrd solve some "distribution maintenance hell?   I.e. what
distribution maintenance hell, is this solving, because it has worked
fine for decades, and now it's "hell"??

	Why?