List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Update while active graphical desktop session made logout impossible
From:       Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= <lmuelle () suse ! com>
Date:       2012-12-20 19:23:29

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 08:00:38PM +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:
> On Thursday 20 December 2012 19:52:12 Lars Müller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > a recent update to KDE made it impossible to the user to logout or
> > to shutdown the system.
> >
> > Therefore I suggest to change our default way how updates are applied.
> >
> > a) Always download the updates in advance in the background
>
> The user might be paying by the megabyte.

What's the difference if the required packaages for the particular
system are downloaded in advance?

The user sooner or later needs to download them nevertheless.

If the goal is to ensure not to download while being on the road and not
being connected to a broadband connection, then we need to catch this
situation.

Todays mobile phones apply updates only if the available network
connection is good enough.

But the current implementation leads to locked users.  Last seen with
openSUSE 12.2 and the recent KDE update.

> > We could even be more elegant and throttle the download speed if other
> > processes use the same link.
> >
> > b) Apply the updates on shutdown
>
> This is a bit impractical if the patch fixes a security problem.
> Secondly shutdowns may be rare.

Nobody stops users from changing the default.

And what's more impractical?

A running X session you never can't terminate as I've seen it with a
plain KDE as available with openSUSE 12.2 or a session you never can
terminate on a regular way?

How many non technical users out there know ctrl + alt + back space
these days?

As we have these nice notification systems we're able to inform the
users about available updates and that these updates require to log off.

Cheers,

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]