List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] Update while active graphical desktop session made logout impossible
From:       Lars =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= <lmuelle () suse ! com>
Date:       2012-12-20 18:52:12

Hi,

a recent update to KDE made it impossible to the user to logout or
to shutdown the system.

Therefore I suggest to change our default way how updates are applied.

a) Always download the updates in advance in the background

We could even be more elegant and throttle the download speed if other
processes use the same link.

b) Apply the updates on shutdown

Doing b) after the user finished the X sesison ensures we never lock her
in.

Via a new setting is a /etc/sysconfig/ file we're able to change the
default.  For example to apply updates always at system startup or to
keep the update process at the same way as it currently is.

Maybe we're already able to achieve this and I missed the configuration
option.  But our current default settings lead to the described desktop
lock situation.

Cheers,

Lars
--