List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] To PackageKit or not to PackageKit
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jos () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-11-05 10:09:21

On Thursday 01 November 2012 11:35:14 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 1. November 2012, 11:14:59 schrieb Raymond Wooninck:
> > So the question is will we keep PackageKit in our openSUSE distro or
not
> > ? If yes, then the zypp/YaST community should have a look at the
latest
> > version and make the zypp backend build and work again. If not, do we
> > have alternatives that we can offer to the users as a small systray
> > utility that notifies them when updates are available ?
>
> Maybe it helps to define what is needed in order to find a tool. And if
> there is none to understand what to focus on in order to improve the
> situation with the apps available.
>
> - not blocking zypper
> - maintained graphical front-end (notifier and patch list etc.)
> - maintained back-end
> - installing patches/updates without root password
> - ability to set permissions per user/action regarding package
management
> - ability to check for patches only or patches plus updates from
> buildservice repos (even better if one can define which repos to check)

Note that PackageKit is also supported by a number of upstream
applications to install packages like the multimedia stuff in
audioplayers. Also, it forms the base of a number of appstore-like
technologies which I personally would love to have in openSUSE as the
YaST GTK and Qt interfaces are both quite terrible to use if you're not a
sysadmin-level user.

All in all, the problem lies in the libzypp backend, and Michael Andres
just said he's working on it but as you can see in the mail he linked to
it will take a while as he has to re-work quite a bit in zypper.

See
http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel/2012-08/msg00010.html

This means that zypper will get some improvements due to the requirements
of PackageKit - I'd love to see zypper not block a search or info when I
am installing stuff (!!!) so I don't mind that much.

Now if any of you is interested in helping out, I'm sure help is
welcome...

Hugs,
Jos