List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] To PackageKit or not to PackageKit
From:       Oddball <monkey9 () iae ! nl>
Date:       2012-11-02 12:28:22

Op 01-11-12 20:58, Carlos E. R. schreef:

> On 2012-11-01 19:33, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> * Carlos E. R. <> [11-01-12 07:40]:
>> ++
>>
>> Re: restricting users (special case) Ability to view but no
>> permissions to act
> To view if they start it manually, ok, but should not start
> automatically for them. Two reasons: one, they ask and bother the
> admin (what is that update I see in...? Two, they are hindered by
> activity from the applet.
>
> - --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
> 		Carlos E. R.

Sitting here, and watching the very nice systray applet sitting there
without bothering me with horns and bells, i forget about the 'gnomish
ui it has.
IMHO, Yast is by far the best package-management-configuration-tool of
all now.
(in the days of 10 i said otherwise, but it matured, and i love the
'heavyweight on very light feet' very much now.
Apper has shown the lack of flexibility (not able to show and agree to a
license-file) in trying to install from a users directory, so i also
support to use yast for that.
Zypper can do it all, but there are users out there, and most of the
time, me included, who do not know the right commands (yet). They need a
reliable manager. Calling the online update module, is, as said IMHO,
far out the best option.
Let us KDE with yast, and Let Gnome have their stuff, what about that?
Like no kde3 stuff in kde4, no Gnome in KDE. (or at least as less as
possible to begin with, and controlling the software is not as less as
possible)

Regards, and apologizes for lost temper in the past,

--

   Have a nice day,

   Oddball.

   OS:  Linux 3.7.0-rc2-4-desktop i686