List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] To PackageKit or not to PackageKit
From:       Martin Schlander <martin.schlander () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-11-01 19:31:33

Torsdag den 1. november 2012 11:14:59 skrev Raymond Wooninck:
> So the question is will we keep PackageKit in our openSUSE distro or not ?
> If yes, then the zypp/YaST community should have a look at the latest
> version and make the zypp backend build and work again. If not, do we have
> alternatives that we can offer to the users as a small systray utility that
> notifies them when updates are available ?

While I have been arguing on the KDE list for not using PackageKit for
local/http installation of "single RPMs" and generally decreasing our
dependence on such a volatile experimental thing as PackageKit, I don't see
any replacement for Apper/PackageKit as an updater applet on the horizon.

Even if say KUpdateApplet+zypp was revived, that would still leave the
GNOME/Gtk desktops out in the dark without PackageKit.

Also it should be noted that Apper/PackageKit supposedly also brings some
"software center" features in the future, which also need to be taken into
consideration, see:
http://blog.tenstral.net/2012/08/appstream-for-apper.html

So I think it's neither desirable nor realistic to drop PackageKit completely.
We just need to limit/control the damage the thing can do to our distro, when
it periodically breaks.

12.3 is still almost 6 months away. Red Hat can reshuffle the API several more
times between now and then, no reason to "panic" about the zypp backend not
being up to speed yet at this early stage.