List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] To PackageKit or not to PackageKit
From:       Guido Berhoerster <gber () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-11-01 18:39:47

* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@telefonica.net> [2012-11-01 19:18]:

> On 2012-11-01 17:23, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > You raise some very good points! However, please find my comments
> > inline, below:
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Sven Burmeister <> wrote:
> >>

> >> c) can install updates without root password
> >
> > sudo permissions can fix (c)
>
> But this needs an administrator to set it up first. Not very nice for
> people that admin their own machines. How the current tool handles
> this now is easier on the end user.
>
> And doing this at install needs configuring sudo entirely, which is...
> well, not that simple.

Nobody is considering to write a new package/update manager, this
thread is about either fixing PK's zypper backend or instead
using a small notifier applet instead of the PK-based ones.

We already have both YaST modules and the PK frontends for
installing packages and applying updates which in combination
with PolicyKit can do all of the stuff requested above.
--
Guido Berhoerster