List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] To PackageKit or not to PackageKit
From:       Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse () jamponi ! net>
Date:       2012-11-01 16:23:38

You raise some very good points! However, please find my comments inline, below:

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Sven Burmeister
<sven.burmeister@gmx.net> wrote:

> c) can install updates without root password

sudo permissions can fix (c)

> d) can have different permissions regarding installing/updating depending on
> the user

sudo permissions can fix (d)

> e) allows to choose whether to check for patches only or all available updates

Seems like a simple preference.

> f) does not end-up like e.g. kupdateapplet (which basically was what you
> describe, i.e. nothing but a notifier)

I do not see that as *necessarily* a bad thing. yast2 sw_single is a
pretty good installer. If I little thinger pops up and says, "Hey, you
have some updates. This is what they are......  <details>.    Click
<here> to run the software updater." then I'd be happy with that.

I'd also prefer to see a preference "automatically install all updates
that do not require a reboot.", but it's just that - a preference.

--
Jon