List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] To PackageKit or not to PackageKit
From:       Guido Berhoerster <gber () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-11-01 12:44:19

* Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke@gmail.com> [2012-11-01 11:18]:
> make the zypp backend build and work again. If not, do we have alternatives
> that we can offer to the users as a small systray utility that notifies them
> when updates are available ?

It wouldn't tkae too much effort to swap out the PackageKit
backend in pk-update-icon with a zypper-based one, in fact I do
already have a parser for zyppers XML output from some
experiments last year. It uses GTK+ but the UI consists only of a
tray icon and notification bubble which would open "yast2
online_update" when activated so it should not look alien in KDE.
So if there's a rough consensus that we want to go with a minimal
notifier and update via YaST's online_update module I could put
something together.
--
Guido Berhoerster