List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] To PackageKit or not to PackageKit
From:       Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-11-01 10:14:59

Hello listmates....

I know that most likely I will be causing another flamewar on this mailinglist,
but I hope that we can keep the discussion to facts and to the point.

As the subject already indicates I would like to know what the openSUSE
community plan is for PackageKit. At this moment we have version 0.7.4 in
Factory, despite that upstream already delivered version 0.8.5.  I have tried
to package 0.8.5, but it seems that in this version the zypp backend is not
maintained ( My assumption here is that openSUSE did the maintainance for this
part as that libzypp is only used by openSUSE).

Based on the above status and also seeing discussions on the opensuse-kde ml
regarding how Apper is working as an update notifier, I have the feeling that
we as a community should take a decision. At this moment I don't see anything
that is offered as a small package update notifier (nor on KDE nor on GNOME
side) that works directly with zypper or with yast. Both desktops have been
using PackageKit for this (or tools based using PackageKit), but it seems that
PackageKit is not really supported by our zypp/YaST community.

So the question is will we keep PackageKit in our openSUSE distro or not ? If
yes, then the zypp/YaST community should have a look at the latest version and
make the zypp backend build and work again. If not, do we have alternatives
that we can offer to the users as a small systray utility that notifies them
when updates are available ?

Regards

Raymond