List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed KDE (Kmail)
From:       Matt Williams <matt () milliams ! com>
Date:       2011-08-04 9:20:42

On 4 August 2011 10:26, seso <steffen.schloenvoigt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I had a similar situation - It was not X that was prevented from startup (kdm
> launched) but logging in with my user just threw me back immediately at the
> login screen.
>
> In $HOME/.xsession-errors I found the cause - it was libassuan .
>
> libassuan has been updated in tumbleweed and the kde packages in tumbleweed
> seem to require that new version - or KDE crashes immediately. In my case,
> the lib was still from the standard opensuse repository. After installing
> the tumbleweed one, login worked again.

I had this same problem yesterday and saw the error in .xsesion-errors
about assuan. I noticed that logging in worded fine with a new user so
I systematically went through my home directory moving '.' files to a
different directory. In the end it turned out that it was caused by
.gpgme (IIRC) and after deleting that directory it worked again.

I don't even think that it's just KDE breaking as I couldn't log into
XFCE or ICEWM either. Only the 'Failsafe' session (just a terminal
window) worked.

Matt