List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] make-3.82 testcases fail *sometimes* (fwd)
From:       Matthias Hopf <mhopf () suse ! de>
Date:       2010-08-30 17:57:06

FYI regarding make 3.82, which will soon hit factory.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf@suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat@mshopf.de

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:52:48 +0200
From: Matthias Hopf <mhopf@suse.de>
To: bug-make@gnu.org
Bcc: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@suse.de>
Subject: make-3.82 testcases fail *sometimes*

Make 3.82 has inherited some issues in from 3.81 in features/parallelism
- and added some new ones in features/double_colon, options/dash-l, and
targets/SECONDARY.

All except those in targets/SECONDARY (which I do not 100% understand
yet) are related to tests using sleep for parallelization tests -
something highly unreliable on systems with lots of processors and high
load.

That results in make not building reliable on our opensuse build system;
I'm currently using the attached patch to increase the sleep times by a
factor of four. A reasonable solution would probably use a configurable
factor, so you can run quicker tests on a local workstation.

Worse is the test targets/SECONDARY; on some(!) invocations some(!) of
the tests are swapping or even missing lines. This *could* indicate a
race, though I rather guess that this again is the result of one
processor being halted longer than anticipated.

I have seen two different issue so far, in test #9

*** 1,5 ****
  cp 1.a 1.b
  cp 2.a 2.b
- cp 1.b 1.c