List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    [opensuse-factory] Compiling own KDE software (was: KDE4 and DBus permissions)
From:       Will Stephenson <wstephenson () suse ! de>
Date:       2010-08-12 6:12:44

On Thursday 12 August 2010 04:05:35 Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 08:38:18PM -0500, Donn Washburn wrote:
> >  Hey Group;
> >
> > Where is it set that DBus has now permission to see or use a new
> > version of Amarok?
> > I do download and compile many programs.  Like a git of Amarok.
> > openSuSE is becoming a headache or at least KDE4 / DBus is.  I am
> > beginning to see Linux becoming to secure when a user can not work
> > with external software.  Based on problems thing will not compile
> > and depends fails.  I do realize that QT and others upgrade or
> > change.
> > However, why does DBus and other software need to be concerned with
> > registered software won't work.
>
> You failed to tell us what error you had.

Knowing our Amarok packages, Donn is installing it as an unprivileged user and
is not setting
"-DDBUS_INTERFACES_INSTALL_DIR=$HOME/somewhere/unimportant" when calling cmake
so it is still trying to install to /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces. It's
explained at http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Compiling which is linked from the
INSTALL file in the sources.

Donn, the topic of opensuse-factory@ is building the openSUSE distribution.
We're happy to help you compile your own KDE software at opensuse-
kde@opensuse.org.

There is also a packaged amarok git snapshot in KDE:Unstable:Playground at the
OBS which is updated every few days, if you prefer the easy route.

Will
--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Team