List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Potential heads-up on new dmraid-1.0.0rc15 in dual boot linux/linux setup wit
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-29 2:17:30

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 09:28:40 pm David C. Rankin wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	I have been working with dmraid-1.0.0rc15 which brings in some really
> needed enhancements (most notable the -R --rebuild option for bios raid
> setups where the bios doesn't provide the ability). It also brings in a new
> naming convention for your device mapper labels as well. Example:
>
> OLD:
>
> nvidia_fdaacfde_part5
> nvidia_fdaacfde_part6
> nvidia_fdaacfde_part7
> nvidia_fdaacfde_part8
>
> WILL BECOME:
>
> nvidia_fdaacfdep5
> nvidia_fdaacfdep6
> nvidia_fdaacfdep7
> nvidia_fdaacfdep8
>
> 	So you will need to update /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab before
> rebooting after you install the new version. I don't know where factory
> sits concerning taking up the new version, but the biggest 'gotcha' I have
> run into is in the situation where you have a linux/linux dual boot box
> with 2 dmraid sets (One OS on each raid set) where the OS is running
> different version of dmraid. Why it matters, I don't know, but I think
> there may be changes to the device meta data that causes the older dmraid
> to choke on the new device metadata and the small consequence of loss of
> all partitions on the second OS with the newer dmraid version once you boot
> the OS with the old version.
>
> 	Outside that linux/linux old dmraid/new dmraid situation dmraid-1.0.0rc15
> works flawlessly and with the new --rebuild capability is a damn good
> alternative to mdraid. (Performance of both dmraid and mdraid is very good)

Here is a bit of an addendum,

	I believe the loss of partitions in this case is most likely attributed to a
kernel update that occurred. ( 2.6.29 initially used when dmraid-1.0.0rc15
installed, then updated to 2.6.30 ) I don't know why, but the next boot, the
partition loss occurred. After restoring the partitions, dmraid-1.0.0rc15 has
been flawless and has worked perfectly even while the openSuSE install on a
separate dmraid set used dmraid-1.0.0rc14.

	When booting with dmraid-1.0.0rc14 as seen from openSuSE, your raid sets are
listed as:

nvidia_ecaejfdi
nvidia_ecaejfdi_part10
nvidia_ecaejfdi_part5
nvidia_ecaejfdi_part6
nvidia_ecaejfdi_part7
nvidia_ecaejfdi_part8
nvidia_ecaejfdi_part9
nvidia_fdaacfde
nvidia_fdaacfde_part5
nvidia_fdaacfde_part6
nvidia_fdaacfde_part7
nvidia_fdaacfde_part8

	and with dmraid-1.0.0rc15:

nvidia_ecaejfdi
nvidia_ecaejfdip10
nvidia_ecaejfdip5
nvidia_ecaejfdip6
nvidia_ecaejfdip7
nvidia_ecaejfdip8
nvidia_ecaejfdip9
nvidia_fdaacfde
nvidia_fdaacfdep5
nvidia_fdaacfdep6
nvidia_fdaacfdep7
nvidia_fdaacfdep8

	No further problems. So whoever in openSuSE maintains the dmraid and device-
mapper packages, the next version looks OK.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC