List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Plans and Issues for ATI fglrx
From:       Greg KH <gregkh () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-06-26 18:21:25

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:37:08PM +0200, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
> >> So you're going to sue Dominique if he does?
> >
> > If he redistributes the prebuilt nvidia driver, I will take the same
> > action that I have taken against other individuals and companies that
> > distribute such a thing in the past.
> >
> > Knowingly ignoring someone who violates your copyright doesn't look good
> > if you wish to do future enforcement of your copyright.  Or so says my
> > lawyers...
>
> Dear Greg,
>
> Wow, that's a nice attitude from a direct member of the project I was
> intending to help.

{sigh}

What would you do if someone violates your copyright?  Would you expect
a company to ignore it?  Would you expect an individual?

> Greg: just out of curiosity: did your lawyers finally contact NVidia
> and ATI? You might be aware that their servers are distributing binary
> blobs.
> Just in case you were not aware: Take this mail  in it's informative
> way to let you know about the fact.

My lawyers have contacted them, and many other companies/individuals who
have done the same in the past.

> Should you now actually consider NOT pursuing against them, I can more
> or less be sure to be able to use exactly THIS fact against any steps
> you might raise against me. It might not put you in the best shed by
> having to admit that you *knowingly* accepted somebody doing it and
> for somebody else you do not tolerate it.

This is not true, see above.

Also, please note that there are some very large companies who hold the
copyright on the kernel, and they have some very large legal
departments, so don't think it is just individuals who you would be
infringing apon.

best of luck,

greg k-h