List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] screen saver wake up delay
From:       Randall R Schulz <rschulz () sonic ! net>
Date:       2009-05-31 0:13:22

On Saturday May 30 2009, Donn Washburn wrote:
> Hey Group;
>
> Just recently the screen saver is not waking up..  I have turned off
> any feature dealing with power savings.   The only way to turn the
> screen back on is to shut off the monitor and turn it back on.

In that case, the problem is probably the monitor itself, not the
software. It could possibly be the video card, I suppose, but I don't
think that's likely.

I have a ViewSonic LCD monitor that goes into a crazy mode under some
input signal conditions (possibly  having to do with my KVM, given that
it requires one computer to be in one monitor power state and the other
in a different one, it seems). In this state, the monitor's power jewel
turns amber (normally signifying that's in power-save mode), the screen
displays the "No Signal" message that is ordinarily followed a few
seconds later by the monitor's lamps shutting off. Except what happens
in this "crazy" state is that the lamps stay on and the "No Signal"
message flashes irregularly for a while (usually a long while). If I
leave it like this long enough, it will eventually "freeze" (the screen
staying in a fixed state, the lamps on, the power jewel amber) but the
monitor will no longer respond to any input or change in its inputs.
The soft power button on the front panel fails to turn it off and even
waking the computer(s) and restoring full sync and video signal does
not bring it out of this state. The only thing that restores normal
operation is power cycling it using the hard power switch on the back
panel.

Basically, monitors have enough circuitry in them to allow for the
possibility of buggy firmware. It's possible your monitor is exhibiting
a similar bug.

> --
> Donn Washburn

Randall Schulz