List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Question about beagle
From:       Karl Eichwalder <ke () suse ! de>
Date:       2009-05-19 14:05:31

jdd <jdd@dodin.org> writes:

> bea&gle is a nuisance even in dualcore computer

On my workstation it is fine.  On my second computer at work it is
problematic (and I have had to disable it), but I'm said a patch is now
available.

>> Note 2: btw, another solution could be to replace beagle with something
>> else. Did people investigate how the other players in this field compare
>> to beagle? Are people opposed to beagle specifically or to the fact that
>> an indexer has an impact on performances?
>
> updatedb and locate did a very good job and I used it twice a year, si
> it's enough.

Honestly, updatedb is rather resource hungry (but fast), and locate is
very different from beagle.  locate only indexes file names--beagle
also searches through file contents.

Yes, I use the desktop search from time to time.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation