List:       opensuse-factory
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-factory] Difference in install behaviour, bug, or intended?
From:       "Rajko M." <rmatov101 () charter ! net>
Date:       2009-03-30 15:34:37

On Monday 30 March 2009 09:43:18 am Oddball wrote:
> I installed on an existing partition, but formatted before install.
> And i choose a new username.
> I used the same dvd, the retail, i got for bugseeking, to install
> opensuse on my eee-pc-901.
>
> I have two installs there, one is allright and the second, which was the
> first, will not connect.
>
> (Not on this pc, where i used net.iso and factory updates..)

Someone said that human communication is doomed to fail.
You last comment "(Not on this pc..." doesn't talk about eee-pc, I guess.
If that is right, then there is some stupid bug.

Possibilities:

1) Installer picks up someting from other installation, which it should not
do. This is not very big chance to happen, but not excluded.

2) Wireless firmware setup requires clean wireless chip without any firmware
loaded. This seems to me closer guess where to start troubleshooting. Driver
for chip can assume that chip has not firmware, while it actually has because
of present battery in laptops, and mess whole thing.

I would try first to remove anything with wireless in the name from
installation that has a problem with wireless. Then, turn eee-pc off,
disconnect power cord, and pull battery out. Leave it for few minutes to make
sure that all hardware registers are cleared (capacitors in power supply
chain discharged). Then turn on, boot to partition that has a problem, try to
setup wireless again.

If this fails, then step two would be new installation, but after formatting
partitions go trough turn eee-pc off, disconnect power cord, and pull battery
out, leave it for few minutes drill, before  attempt to install again.

If that fails then some of openSUSE wireless hardware experts should jump in.

If it works, then check the other installation, does it work after normal
reboot, and then after cold reboot with pulling battery out.

--
Regards, Rajko